The International Center for Responsible Gaming (ICRG) invites investigators to apply for research grants to study gambling and gambling problems among emerging adults in the US. The deadline is January 31, 2023 and applicants may request up to a total of $402,500 for the three-year Center of Excellence Grant.
Potential topics may include:
• A social norms approach has been used effectively in college alcohol prevention as well as college gambling projects. Applicants might experiment with this approach in the development and testing of new responsible gambling and intervention strategies suitable for this demographic group.
• A national survey of gambling behaviors and problems among young adults in the US such as a replication of past studies.
• A study of young adult involvement in daily fantasy sports, online sports wagering, betting on eSports and other forms of online gambling.
• The convergence of video game playing and online gambling (online sports wagering, gambling on e-Sports, daily fantasy sports, etc.). Is there significant migration from video gaming to online gambling?
• The predictors of gambling problems in this population group.
The funding for this initiative is from FanDuel and Hard Rock International. The ICRG maintains a firewall to protect the integrity of research supported with funds from the gambling sector
Download the announcement and application form.
The other new initiative invites investigators to study the health impact of gambling advertising. The deadline is March 1, 2023. Applicants may request up to $172,500 for a two-year grant.
Examples of eligible projects include:
• Controlled experiments assessing the physiological, cognitive, emotional and/or behavioral effect of different types of messages, including messaging promoting gambling availability, messaging promoting less risky gambling and messages warning of harm.
• Studies of awareness of advertisements in different populations of people who gamble (emerging adults, vulnerable populations, different cultural groups).
• Studies of methods of effectively promoting responsible gambling tools such as
gambling helplines and self-exclusion.
The funding for this initiative is from BetMGM, a partnership between MGM Resorts International and Entain Holdings.
Download the announcement and application from Resources..